Sesame tofu with brown rice and green beans [x]
The sauce here (from Olives for Dinner) really was delicious, and as far as I can see this meal is low FODMAP as well (obviously follow your dietician’s advice). This is enough for one, but with some left over sauce.
- 1 portion of firm tofu (about 1/3 Cauldron box)
- 1/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup water
- 1 portion of green beans
- 1 tbs. sesame seeds
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup mirin (worth getting hold of- they sell it in Tesco if you don’t have an Asian grocery)
- 1/2 tbs. tamari sauce
- 1/2 tbs. sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. grated ginger
- sprinkle of chili pepper
- 1 tsp. corn flour/starch whisked in 2 tsp. water
- Rinse the brown rice in cold water, then boil it in a pan with 1/2 to 3/4 cup water. Cover the pan and turn down the heat. Cook according to the packet.
- (If you have ‘easy cook’ rice you want to start cooking the tofu in about 5 minutes, if it’s regular brown rice you can do something else for 10-15 minutes).
- Put a little oil in the bottom of a pan. Slice the tofu into squares and fry them for 8-10 mins. until they’re brown, then flip.
- While the rice & tofu is cooking gather the ingredients for the sauce. Pour everything but the corn starch into a small pan, and mix it together on a low heat.
- When the rice looks almost done put the green beans in the pan with it and cook it for a few minutes.
- Turn up the heat on the sauce until it boils and whisk in the corn starch slurry, whisking while it thickens.
- When the green beans are cooked place them on the plate with the brown rice. Place the tofu on top, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Let me know how you like it?