(Chai) Tea cake from Eva Batt’s Vegan Cooking
A lovely tea time treat- and no-one noticed it’s wheat free and vegan.
- 2 oz (55g) stoned dates
- 4 oz (115g) mixed dried fruit
- 1 oz (30g) mixed peel
- 1/4 pint (140ml) cold tea (I used 2 bags of chai)
- 2 oz (55g) brown sugar
- 2 oz (55g) vegan margarine
- 1 tbs. golden syrup (or agave etc.)
- 8oz (225g) self raising gf flour
- 1 tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2 fl oz (60ml) non-dairy milk
- Optional topping: 3 tbs. brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, generous shakes of ground nutmeg and ginger.
- Make the tea.
- Grease and line a 7 inch (18cm) cake tin (or similar).
- Chop the dates into small pieces.
- Put the dates, dried fruit, peel, tea, sugar, margerine and syrup in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, and simmer for about 3 minutes. Then leave the mixture to cool.
- Dissolve the bicarbonate of soda in warm milk.
- Sift the flour.
- Stir the milk into the flour, then gradually stir in the cooled fruit mixture.
- Mix thoroughly, and spoon into the tin. Sprinkle with sugar and spice.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 minutes-1 hour until cooked through. Let it cool down before you try to take it out of the tin.
- Enjoy (with a lovely cup of tea)!